Choose a head covering

Friday, June 5, 2009

Port

I had the port put in this morning. The surgery was a little more involved than I anticipated. It took about 45 minutes. It is now 3 hours after the surgery and I'm in a little pain but nothing too bad.

Wikipedia defines a port this way:
In medicine, a port (or portacath) is a small medical appliance that is installed beneath the skin.. A catheter connects the port to a vein. Under the skin, the port has a septum through which drugs can be injected and blood samples can be drawn many times, usually with less discomfort for the patient than a more typical "needle stick".
Ports are used mostly to treat hematology and oncology patients, but recently ports have been adapted also for hemodialysis patients.
The port is usually inserted in the upper chest, just below the clavicle or collar bone, leaving the patient's hands free.



This is what they put in me.




It was inserted in the upper right part of my chest.



Update:

I woke up this morning and the site where the port was put in is very stiff. It hurts to raise my arm over my shoulder. I will have to ask the doctor why she put the port in the right side since I'm right handed.

3 comments:

  1. Lovin' the blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just trying to join and be able to post comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, it worked. Thanks for the info and the picture. It looks painful. I prayed for you, Bridget, Christopher and Celia today at church. I hope everything goes as it should tomorrow. A high school friend of mine passed away last Dec from breast cancer. She had a blog that I found very informative since I have had no experience or exposure to cancer. Her name was Laura. Her husband puts posts on it from time to time now. It is loloplunkett.blogspot.com if you're interested. I hope you sleep well tonight. I'll be praying and thinking of all of you tomorrow. Love, Michelle

    ReplyDelete